Monday, May 25, 2009

Gasp!

Has it really been almost a month since I posted? I know my one reader has missed me dearly. Thought I'd get in a post before enjoying this gorgeous Memorial Day...

Running update: Fall marathon training is in full swing, and it is hot and humid out there (duh, its summer in Houston), but we have a pretty good group of runners every Saturday morning. I've been getting in a couple of extra miles by running from my house to the meeting location and back. I'm trying to get back to a regular running/exercise routine during the week, but its been difficult. Work has been demanding and I'm usually so exhausted in the evenings and would rather kick back and have a drink than run. That'll change...high school reunions are coming up, and I don't know about you, but alcohol goes straight to my waist. No bueno.

Family update: We are all still pretty sad about my grandfather's passing and that my grandmother is now in a "home." She requires 24/7 care, so this is definitely the best place for her to be...the family is at peace with this decision. I've gone to visit her a couple of times when I've been back to my parents' to help them clean out my grandparents' house. My grandmother really doesn't know who I am, who any of us are, but she knows were are family, I think. Its hard not to completely detach myself from her because that's not my grandmother, not the same person who I loved to spend so much time with, have such great memories of. We had a special bond, and that's what I choose to remember, not how she is now. But I love her the same nevertheless.

Going through my grandparents' house and their belongings has been a great experience for all of us. We have found so many pictures and other momentos that we had never seen before...such a great record of family history. I have volunteered to get the pics etc in some sort of order, a project that is going to take me months. And apparently my grandfather kept every single bank statement he ever received. We have been finding those things everywhere! This hoarding of sorts is quite typical of the Great Depression generation, I believe. It has inspired me to become better organized so that if anything should happen to me, my family will know exactly where to look for the important stuff. Plus, I've never been one to keep stuff "just in case." I do not like clutter, at all.

Pictures:
Some great pics from my birthday -

The girls...


Fellow birthday celebrant Brian and his wife Leah...


Me and my dear friends Aimee and Tyler...


Cake from work...they know I'm a princess...


And from Mother's Day weekend -

Grammie and Sorennah...


Grammie and Pops with Koen and Hayden...


Hayden and Koen (could they be any cuter??? Answer: no.)...


Me and mini-princess Sorennah...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birhtday - belated and all!