Hola! Yes, I've been gone from the blogging world for a while. Didn't have much to report nor did I have the energy to write. But, yes, I'm back and I'll just jump right back into it...
Mom update: Mom has been dealing with more health issues and was finally released from her latest stay at MD Anderson a couple of weeks ago to a nursing home in Bryan where she will be for a couple more weeks. The problem continues to be an ongoing infection that is not going away, even with a drain. And surgery to scoop out the area is not an option. Its been a very very trying and tiring time for my whole family, and to say that my personal life has suffered would be an understatement. I'm a person who deals with drama by withdrawing and handling things on my own. This is my personality; I've always been this way. I don't want to burden anyone else. Its how I roll in tough times and this has been difficult to communicate and help other people understand. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be alone instead of sharing my issues with others. I'm not making any excuses or apologies. Some people like and need the company and comfort of others, especially during hard times, others don't. Doesn't mean that I'm lonely or alone, as some people are concerned. I'm okay and gosh darnit, I like myself! :)
Running update: I'm still getting my long runs in, even if at a very slow pace for me. I don't care anymore. My knee (ITBS and bursitis) continues to be a problem, some runs are better than others. Today's 13 miler, which turned into a 10 miler, was not one of my better days. In the past few weeks, I've run an 18 miler, a half marathon, and a couple other 10-12 mile runs. Next week, I will attempt another 18-21 miler, then I taper until Boston. I continue to do physical therapy on my own, but this is clearly an injury that is going to require some plain old rest. Although right now I would not turn down a surgical procedure just to get that damn bursa thing out. On April 20th of course.
Arthritis Cream: So, as I was researching things to at least somewhat numb my knee area for my runs, I thought I'd try some arthritis cream, even though I don't have that in my knee, but apparently it works wonders for pain. Yippee! So I put a little on my knee last night. A couple of hours later, the area really started to warm up and felt pretty good. So if a little feels good, alot should feel better, right? Before, bed, I put some more on my knee, my other knee, and my lower back. Why not? It had been aching lately too.
By 1:30 am, I was wide awake and felt like my knees and back were on fire. Really, I'm shocked I wasn't actually on fire. It felt like I was burning alive, or at least got my pasty self burned really badly at the beach. It looked like a terrible sunburn, all red and blotchy, and I envisioned giant blisters and scars, but my skin wasn't warm to the touch. Nevertheless, the thought of going to the ER crossed my mind at least once. I thought maybe I was having an allergic reaction. I washed off the areas with a cold wash cloth...didn't work. Got in a cold shower...didn't work. Mixed baking soda with cold water to make a compress...worked some, since I remembered that baking soda is a neutralizer for things. I didn't know what I was doing...ice, baking soda, wet towels, anything to cool the areas off. Something worked because I fell back to sleep and when I woke up, I was fine. Apparently, arthritis cream has cayenne pepper in it. Aha!! And a little further research revealed that yes, a burning "sensation" is normal so use the cream sparingly. Well, my sensation was a "burning alive" sensation, so I think I used too much. Lesson learned. Be warned!
24 Weeks Later: A running Saga
1 year ago









4 comments:
Hope your Mom is better soon. You have had a busy, hard schedule. Hope you recover soon and are ready for Boston. I am so excited. Can't wait to run THE BOSTON MARATHON
Glad to know that you are hanging in there with your training and personal life as well. Many people including me like to go into their own shell and come out when they have sorted out things to say the least.
I couldn't hold myself from telling a funny anecdote from childhood. Those were the days of no air-conditioning but ceiling fans. My older sister (3 year older) and I had a fabulous idea one summer. She brought a mug full of water and threw it towards the running ceiling fan in living room. Wow, that splash and list mist it created felt so cool.
If one mug of water is good, a bucket full of water must be awesome, right? Aha, soon I and my sister were throwing water at fan like crazy. And, we heard a thud or a short circuit or something and fan stopped rotating. Next thing we know our mom is here looking at the mess and screaming at us and hysterically laughing at the same time. :)
I have missed you and I think of you and your mom often!]
I was thinking your cream idea was genius and I was thinking "I gotta try that for my hip" but as I read further I was like "whoooa!" so thanks for that warning!!
I have had arthritis under the knee caps for years and running became so painful. Last July, an Orthopedic Surgeon gave me a series of three shots of Synvisc (the stuff from a rooster's cone) under the knee caps. It is a natural lubricant and lasts up to 18 months. He said that it has no down-side and a new dose can be injected later. My knees have not felt this good in years and I have been able to complete 2-50K's and 11 marathons this season. You might want to check and see if it would work in your case. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck in Boston.
Post a Comment