Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Final Countdown...

Hard to believe that in 24 hours I'll be on a plane to Boston, and in 4 days, I'll be running the Boston Marathon. Its been a long road...seems like Chicago was an eternity ago...and I've battled pretty well through my worst running injury to date. While the knee has gotten a bit better, my gait change resulting from compensating for my knee has affected my lower back. But all is as well as I can hope for at this point, and I'm on some oral meds for a few days to calm things down and hopefully make Boston a pain-free event. I just want to finish, and hopefully finish happy as a clam (I don't know what that means but I hear it all of the time). Then I'll get the physical therapy I need.

I cannot tell you how excited I am, about everything...visiting a new city, the expo, the marathon, and hanging out with my dad and my two best friends Aimee and Jenny. I am blessed and thankful that I'm even able to run and run in this event. I don't take it for granted, I don't brag about it, I don't look for pats on the back. I'm just an average girl who enjoys running and challenging myself, and I've been amazed by my ability to set seemingly unachievable goals and reach them. Its encouraging, motivating and something I keep in mind when I think I can't do anything right or well. Its been a tough couple of weeks for me on the emotional front, finally having the meltdown I've been anticipating over the death of my grandparents, my mom's condition and worrying about my dad. It was ugly...It hit hard and fast and furious, then I was done (thank you Kaytha for putting up with me crying during the entire 8 mile run on Saturday!). I really finally feel mentally clear and focused for Monday.

So, wish me luck and I promise a fun race report upon my return. And best of luck to my fellow bloggers who will be there too! Looking forward to everyone's race reports.

Now then, I must focus on the most important part of Monday's race... what color top do I wear? I have a pink long jog bra to go with my trademark pink visor, or I have a blue one that matches the Boston blue color. I also have a yellow short bra top, which is a Boston color as well and would match the yellow and blue ribbon I made for my hair, but it might be too cold for that. Therefore, I'm taking all three, perhaps a fourth. C'mon, just because its Boston and I'm going to be wearing some dorky knee brace and smell like Tiger Balm menthol doesn't mean I'm not going to try to look my cutest. 26.2 princess, remember?

In other running news... I got into the NYC Marathon this year. My second try in the lottery. Not expecting it at all, but I'm really excited, and though I was not planning to run a Fall marathon, I can't pass this one up.

Random thought of the day: RIP Ugly Betty :(

Easter pics: I had a great time with my family over Easter weekend. We were able to take my mom to Easter brunch, and of course the kiddos had to do some egg-hunting.











6 comments:

Jill said...

Pain-free marathon??? I think I need some of those meds, please! :) I'm so not ready to run 26 miles but no matter what, it's going to be a blast. My first time there last year was incredible - you'll soak it all in and run like the wind! Good luck!! Can't wait to read your race report upon return!!

Ulyana said...

average girl??? nothing average about Boston!!!!!!!

CONGRATS! And good luck! I bet you'll forget about the injury and your gate will be perfect from all the excitemend over the weekend!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

I too thought Boston was likely an unachievable goal, but WE DID IT. It is the best metaphor for life. We can do it, and we can handle it.

I appreciated the what to wear debate and although I just recently, finally became hooked on Ugly Betty, I will 2nd your RIP.

Anonymous said...

Have fun- I look forward to following you!!!

Craig said...

Exciting...good luck...cant wait to read about how this goes...

Neeraj Rohilla said...

Where is Boston report? Some of lesser mortals like me want to live the experience through your race.