When I run, if I'm not listening to my iPod, then I usually have a song playing in my head over and over during the run. Most of the time I can "control" said song by making sure it is the last thing I hear before beginning my run. This past Saturday, for some reason, I had the freaking Old McDonald Had A Farm song stuck in my head for 13 miles! Unspeakable awesomeness, she said sarcastically *.
Saturday, August 8: I had a really strong 15 mile run. I could not have been happier - I felt really good the entire way - and I probably could have kept going for a couple more miles. I credit adhering to the training schedule during the week (even the speedwork), as hard as it is to run/workout at 5 am.
I'm still drinking diluted Clif Quench and using some Hornet Juice. A fellow coach, and a very fast runner, told me about Hornet Juice, so I thought I'd give it a try. So far, no complaints.
Training is the time for trying new things that may work for others, and if they work for you too, great. If not, don't do it. I have learned alot about running, nutrition, hydration, and race strategy just by listening to, or eavesdropping on, others. Stories about a personal experiences that I hear with my own ears have benefitted me far more than any running article I've ever read.
Saturday, August 15: A relatively easy 10 miles that was over before I knew it. Probably because we had to focus intently on the numerous turns on the route so as not to get lost. This coming weekend's 13 miler has no less than 30 turns. I got dizzy just reading the written route, and haven't really studied the map yet. As I shared with another coach this morning, I would not be surprised if every single runner gets lost somewhere along the way. Should be interesting...
* Sarcasm. Let's discuss this for a moment. For me, there are two types: (1) rude and insulting sarcasm, and (2) teasing and joking sarcasm. Sometimes there is a very thin line between the two. And if you don't know how to hold a normal conversation that is free of either type of sarcasm, then you have a communication problem. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the second type noted above, but I use it in moderation. When you can't control it, or when people no longer realize you are joking and/or think its funny, or they get frustrated because it seems non-stop, don't be surprised if that person becomes bored with conversing with you. Just an observation...
As for relatively sarcasm-free conversation, I'd like to say hi and thanks to a new friend, whom I met through dear friends, for enjoyable conversation, lots of laughs and tasty, refreshing beer. Go Texans!
24 Weeks Later: A running Saga
1 year ago









2 comments:
Sounds like you had a great training week! I totally agree about sarcasm. When it's too much, it's just mean!
If you need more children's songs to get stuck in your head, I can give you a long list from Stroller Fit! The Wheels on the Bus, for example...ah, nothing like a kid's song stuck in your head for hours!
Post a Comment