Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I did it all for the gnocchi...

Running update: I had an excellent 12 mile run on Saturday morning. Must have been the mini-carb load on Thursday night with my wonderful friends Aimee and Jennifer. We went to Raia's...awesome Italian food. The gnocchi is to die for. That's why I run, so I can eat stuff like gnocchi...

What made my run so good on Saturday? I have no real answer to that. Same weather conditions that we've had over the past couple of months, though there may have been a slight breeze. However, this is the first time this season that I used Gu, and I also had a water bottle of Clif Quench and Smart Water, both of which a few of my running friends swear by. We'll see. Maybe I just had a good run period. I needed it since my last two long runs left me feeling not so good physically and mentally. I felt great after the run on Saturday, probably could have kept going another couple of miles. That's very encouraging for me.

I continue to do my speedwork on my own in the mornings. I just can't bring myself to run in the evenings when the heat index exceeds 100 degrees. I'm not the only one either. Its great to see Memorial Park as crowded as it is by 5:30 am. Lots is always going on early in the morning, like those boot camps. Based on what I've seen of their routines, I will not be doing a boot camp. I'm not sure I would be able to maintain the minimum level of princessness that is acceptable to me...

PMS rant: Yes, my dear readers, its been a while since I had one of these, so here it goes. I really hate it when my supposed best friends do not respond to communications and I hear about events in their lives through others. Unfortunately this has been a pattern for the past few years. Guess what? I'm done. Also dear old friend from my youth, don't be rude to me at our recent HS reunion then wonder why I didn't accept your Facebook friend request. Speaking of FB, wow some girls post whore-ish pictures...none of my friends, duh, because I don't hang out with skanks, but friends of acquaintances. Pathetic. And, FB is a fabulous way to see what your friends did not invite you to. That makes the invitation list to an upcoming get-together at my house much more manageable. Thanks! Okay, rant over. I meant about half of what I just said. Which half will be determined when I feel like it.


And, a big CONGRATULATIONS to my friends Karla and Jeremiah who are expecting their first child. Yay!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't use Clif Quench or Smart Water, but opt for something else that seems to work well. I've had two great runs in a row even though conditions suck. Could it be that as we get older we really do get better? Nah. If anything we get more inconsistent...

Neeraj Rohilla said...

Okay, before asking I searched google for PMS and so far I am sticking with google's definition.

I have a question about your speed work. Do you do it at tracks or do some fartlek workouts based on time and not exact distance? They dug up track at Rice to install new ones and I miss my speed workouts at Rice tracks.

26.2 Princess said...

Jamoosh, we are indeed wiser and better with age, or we tend to more easily forget that we are not, I don't know. Speaking of forgetting, I forgot to mention that I still take Endurolytes, thanks to you...

Neeraj, our speedwork is based on time not distance. For example, I think this week calls for 10 minute warmup, 5x4:00x4:00 (4 minutes hard, 4 minutes easy/recovery, five times), 10 minute cool down.

Alaina said...

We love Raia's too!