Thursday, November 12, 2009

A runner's holy grail...

I have found it! Its no secret to runners everywhere but it has the most magical powers...the foam roller!! I FINALLY tested out my legs this week, getting in an easy 3 miles on Monday and 4 miles this morning, and my left leg is feeling much better, though I am still having some soreness in my glute and IT band. I've been using the foam roller religiously this week. And a new pair of shoes helps.

What to do, what to do? Since my leg has been sore for quite some time and I've taken alot of time off from running, I need to seriously consider not running the full in Houston in January and switch to the half. I'm very conflicted, and very concerned that if I run the full and its a great day, I'll push myself and end up needing even more time off. I don't want to have lingering issues for Boston.

But then again, this is my hometown marathon, and I've run 5 in a row, and I see it as a "long run" before Boston, and I feel a little like switching to the half is giving up in some way. I don't know. I've never dealt with such lingering issues, never had such a difficult time recovering from a race. And honestly, I've struggled big-time with motivation (until this morning...had a pretty good run) and am not sure I want to run another marathon before Boston. Sigh... I just don't know what to do. Help?

My spirits would definitely be lifted if the Aggies would win the football games they are supposed to!! Grrr...

Pictures of the day:



6 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Hi! I just found your blog! Yes the foam roller is the total bomb--the firmer the better. Hope your leg improves quickly!
And congrats on your BQ!

Jenn said...

I'm scared of the foam roller! I don't envy your decision with Houston. I hate making decisions. I opted to stay with the half over the winter since they really only require a little taper and very little recovery. I know what you mean about pushing yourself. It is pretty hard race day to say you are only going to use the marathon as a long run! I'm sure you can handle whatever you decide. Good Luck!!

Unknown said...

Yeah for Boston! I got my card this week today too, can't wait!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

If you are not very motivated, I would consider changing to the half for Houston. This way you will stay in shape, but hopefully after the half @ Houston you will be "fired up" and ready to train hard for Boston. Just a thought! I am not good with decisions either.

Made my Boston hotel reservations yesterday. So exciting!

Newly and Forever, Tamantha said...

I love my foam roller...sometimes it hurts like hell to do it, but it definately helps my IT Band/knee issues...now if only it would work on my foot...Sometimes it's nice to use a race as a training run, but very tempting to "race" for pace in that situation! If you think you could "reign it in"...might be a good idea to do the full?

Cass said...

You are the second person I know that has just recently discovered the foam roller. I swear by the thing. It is by far one of the greatest inventions of all time. Oh, and I'm sending you healing vibes...