Sunday, January 17, 2010

The best laid plans...

Today, I was just going to run the Houston Half Marathon as my first official Boston Marathon training run and test out my knee. I admit that I did not train for this race at all, not like I would have had I been healthy for the past couple of months. My longest run leading up to this was an 8 miler a couple of weeks ago. So I was just hoping for a sub 2 hour run, which would have made me very happy.

I should have known better...

It was a great day, no expectations placed on myself by myself, my knee held up until I finished, and I managed a PR in an official half marathon race: 1:53:31. Dang! I think I've only run two halfs faster, and those were both in the Chicago Marathon. Wasn't expecting or anticipating this kind of run today at all. I am very pleased and excited to get my marathon training underway again. Great way to start! (Edit - every timing mat recorded my pace as 8:39...if I'm anything, I'm consistent!)

I will be heading back to the doctor on Tuesday and will insist on some soft tissue scans, because there clearly is still a problem with my knee. The minute I finished, it buckled and was hurt like hell. No way I would have even finished a full marathon today. But I have time to get the knee fixed and back to normal (I hope!), and its really liking the ice right now.

Thanks so much to my friend and fellow running coach Dave for running the entire race with me! It was fun! And of course, my two biggest supporters, Aimee and her son Senator, were out there to cheer me on at the finish. And I would be remiss if I didn't thank my "special friend" Craig for the beautiful flowers and the tasty post-race Bloody Mary ;)

Congrats to my friends Jenny, Evan, and Neeraj, and Alaina, Cassie and Robyn, and so many others on their great runs this morning!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock on with your PR! Congrats.

Anonymous said...

Surprise PR's are the best! Simply the best!!!

Congrats!

Kristi said...

Congrats! We are so proud of you for your running commitment and accomplishments. Hope it helps relieve some of the many stresses. I love you, sis!

TX Runner Mom said...

Congrats on the PR! Hope the knee heals quickly!

Psyche said...

BQ. check.
Race PR 1st time out.check

What will you do next? I will stay tuned, as I love reading your blog.

Keep rockin' it.

Psyche