Thursday, February 5, 2009

See, I can be creative sometimes...

My primary hobby/passion is running. Without it, there would be no point to this blog. However, I, 26.2 Princess, have another hobby that I take up every now and then: art/painting. Yes, I sometimes tap into the right side of my brain. Crazy, I know!

I really started this hobby when I was recovering from neck surgery several years ago and had nothing else to do (plus I was chock full of meds...aren't all great artists?? I kid, I kid.). And as is too often the case with my spur-of-the-moment projects that get me in over my head, I always thought "how hard can it be to paint something like that?" whenever I saw abstract art somewhere. Answer: not easy, or cheap. And I have zero art/painting training...

Over the years, I've painted many pieces, and even had an art show for friends and neighbors early on in my hobby. I've sold some pieces and given some to family for gifts, and a handful are in my storage closet because they just don't go with my decor anymore (I can't have just ANYTHING hanging from my walls...it has to match/blend in). But I do have several pieces, some older, some newer, that are currently displayed in my home.

My art might never be displayed anywhere else or fetch alot of money or even appeal to 98% of the population, but I like it; it fits me and my tastes. The beauty and appeal of art truly is in the eye of the beholder...I spent alot of time in the Louvre and the Rijks Museum, and even the fine arts museum in Houston, and quite frankly was bored...those kind of paintings have never appealed to me. I like "abstract" but others don't, so I won't be offended if you think my stuff is crap. In fact, I laugh when I show friends and family a piece and their reaction is clearly "yeah, I don't like that one so much" though they would never say that out loud (maybe behind my back).

Anyway, thought you might like to see my creative side:

My latest piece, just finished on Wednesday:


Something I painted just before I moved into my home last year:


Others:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll give you four dollars for the abstract!

Alaina said...

What color is the wall painted behind the final piece of art (brown background with white, gold and orange sticks)? Love the color and need to get a swatch of it!

Neeraj Rohilla said...

Ha, you are way too creative.
There is nothing right in my left brain and nothing left in my right brain.

Your painting numbers 2,3 and 4 looks like sedimentary rocks to me with lots of inhomogeneities, :-) It will be pretty hard to produce Oil from them but I can try..:-)

The last looks like an intricate drilling rig with color coded pipes for nitrogen, brine and crude :-)