Sunday, November 9, 2008

I long for Aggie football of old...

Remember when A&M was good at football? When we actually had a defense? (Wrecking Crew was a force to be reckoned with for sure). We rocked when I was there in undergrad, and there are some wins within the past decade that I'll never forget...tu several times, Nebraska in 1998 when they were #2, OU in 2002 when they were #1, winning the Big 12 in 1998, and we used to beat Tech regularly... good times. Good times indeed. I would like those good times back please, dear college football gods. Soon. Amen.

Running update: Last taper run before San Antonio next weekend! Yay! A blazing 8 miles at around an 8:43 average pace. Felt good to go into my rest week with a strong run. I will probably get in one easy run this week and one jaunt on the elliptical, then I'm kickin' my legs up until Sunday. I'm really excited to see what SA is like as far as the marathon... course, support, spectators, organization and the all-important weather factor. I'm ready to run a strong race if the weather is good. Right now, looks to be a smidge on the warm side, but obviously the forecast is going to change often over the next week. I'll take what I'm given though. Its going to be a fun time no matter what. I'm really looking forward to running with coaches Rick, Tom and Ruthie; we will definitely push each other to perform our best while having a blast.

Facebook update: As I mentioned in a post a while ago about Facebook, its been fun making connections again that I thought were lost forever, and a handful of those connections are turning into real friendships again. I want to give a special shout-out to a dear friend (you know who you are!). This friend and I went to high school and A&M together and were in the same sorority. In fact, she was one of my very first friends when I moved to Bryan my junior year in HS, and my very first ski trip was with her and her family. We kept in regular touch for many years until a misunderstanding/miscommunication a few years ago following our 15 year HS reunion. We didn't communicate for years. Through Facebook, we were able to get back in touch, resolve what caused our friendship to falter, and are getting to know each other again, picking up where we left off like we never missed a beat. Just one more great example of Facebook working to reunite old friends and giving them second chances at friendships. Its truly a blessing for me.

Political update: Now that the shock and disappointment of election day has passed, I do want to say that above all, we are all Americans. We should appreciate our election process, and from the looks of things, our new President won fair and square, and that's what this great nation is all about. Freedom and democracy. The majority has spoken. We need to unite and get this country back on track fiscally. I'd hate to see us abolish the death penalty or revoke the right to carry weapons, but I'm pro-choice and I'm not so sure about us declaring war on everyone who does something we don't like (exaggeration, I know, but you get the point). I believe the war on terrorism is justified, but we need to clean things up here as well. If we had our crap together in the CIA and FBI, 9/11 probably would not have happened. And, I fully support stem-cell research, something the GOP does not. Oh, shoot, here I go again... I'm done talking politics, but bottom line, I'm kinda middle of the road in my political beliefs. I just don't believe in socialism and the resulting high taxation. Honestly, I don't know enough, or care enough, to debate and argue. Let's just all be friends. Group hug!!

2 comments:

Evan Guy said...

SA should be a great time! Wanna meet up at the Expo? If so, send me an email: evan@evanguy.com

So what cryptic word do I hafta enter to submit this message? "funded".....lol

Craig Weaver said...

hey...just caught up on your blog...so here goes...adorable halloween pictures, great political rant/slight recant, nice to see your facebook e-hug...and looking forward to hearing how SA goes...praying for 40 degree weather for you...

talk soon...