Saturday, April 18, 2009

No rest for the already stressed...

Running update #1: Didn't run this week, because...

Neck/shoulder issues: I'm having some unusual pain in my neck and shoulder, and down my arm, including numbness in some of my fingers, that is not the normal dull pain I am used to having on a regular basis, which I often don't even notice anymore (brief explanation here, second paragraph). But when rest and muscle relaxants and even pain killers don't work after several days, I get concerned. I had an MRI on both my neck and my shoulder on Thursday and I'm still waiting on results. I hope it is either nothing or just a pinched nerve. If its disc-related, like something to do with my already-herniated c6-7 disc, it could be bigger problem and could require surgery, like I had in 2003. Keeping my fingers crossed. The latter scenario will no doubt keep me out of running for a while, if not forever. I'm hoping that is not the case, but I have pressed my luck for many years running with my neck condition. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Running update #2: I'm not running the Country Music (Nashville) Marathon next weekend, because:

Mom update: Some possible tumors were identified in my mom's latest x-rays (update: apparently the dr who found them is pretty sure they are malignant tumors and have metastasized from somewhere). They are in the same location where she had, and beat, cancer several years ago (brief details here, second paragraph). My parents will be coming into Houston at the end of next week for appointments at MD Anderson. Unlike my reactions in the past when I have found out one of my family members is, or potentially could be, ill, I have remained uncharacteristically calm and haven't freaked out, yet. We all need to be strong for each other during this time, and as my dad said, we've come together to beat this before and there is no reason we can't do the same this time. I am so blessed to be so close to my family...we all support and love each other very much. We've been down this road before, and we know the drill. No reason to expect a different outcome. I'll provide updates on my mom as appropriate.

Weekend: Hope everyone enjoys the weekend! We may have rain here in Houston today, but tomorrow is supposed to be great. I have a few plans tonight and tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to taking my mind off of my personal pain and what's going on with my mom, if only for a while.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prayers - comin' your way.

Craig Weaver said...

praying for sure...take care C..

Neeraj Rohilla said...

I will keep your mom and my prayers and thoughts. You dad is right, without a doubt your mom and your family will emerge victorious this time as well.