Running update: Though I didn't make it out with my training group to run on Saturday morning, I did eventually get my butt out of bed and run a quick 6 miles. I must say that my training has been seriously lacking recently (by recently I mean the past month) with everything going on with my family. I have great concern that I will not be ready for the Houston Marathon in the way I want to be. A little disappointing, but honestly, right now I don't care. In fact, I've considered not even running it because I'm so far behind in my training, and its too late to switch to the half marathon. But I'll keep trying to get out and run when I can, see what happends. Since I could use the exercise, I consider this a good plan. I'm going to attempt a run from 15-21 miles on Saturday morning. The distance will be determined by how I feel that morning. This run will pretty much be about burning calories, primarily those consumed this past weekend.
Thanks to Greg and Alaina for hosting a fabulous holiday party on Saturday night! Had a lot of fun as usual. It was a much needed stress-reliever.
Went to the Texans game on Sunday and watched us win a close one vs Tennessee. Its always nice to beat the old Oilers. Add a little tailgating action before and after the game, and it was a great afternoon. Also a much needed stress-reliever (noticing a theme here?)
I also watched "The Strangers" on Sunday night. My friend and I questioned the claim that the movie was inspired by true events. If you've seen the movie, you know its creepy and scary and everyone ends up dead in the end. However, I had never heard of this murderous home break-in, and I'm a news junkie, especially gory news that I can talk about at the dinner table. After some research, we discovered that the events that "inspired" this movie were simply random break-ins of houses when people weren't home, several years ago. I will never be a movie script writer, because there is no way my mind would think "I'm going to write a movie based on these random harmless break-ins, but I'm going to make it really scary and have innocent people murdered for fun." Then again, if I had that twisted of a mind, I might be very wealthy.
Mom update: So all of my talk about stress is directly related to the situation with my mom. The good news is she is to be released from the hospital. She's feeling really good and getting around well without the pain meds. She has been through so much, and I'm very proud of her for her courage and strength throughout this ordeal. She's been in the hospital for over two weeks and is very ready to get back to her home after she stays at my place for a couple of days. Still keeping our fingers crossed that the surgery will result in her other issues healing on their own. If not, another surgery will be necessary. Regardless, the fact that she is doing so much better has really taken a load off my mind. Thanks to everyone who kept my mom in your thoughts and/or expressed well-wishes to me!
As a result of the events with my mom and her expected recovery time, I have learned that instead of me and my parents heading to Dallas for Christmas to visit my brother, sister-in-law, and my nephews and niece, they will be heading to my parents house the day after Christmas. I'm very excited about this and grateful, because I don't think my mom would be up for a trip at this point. I cannot wait to see the little ones!! Lots of loving from Auntie Kiki is in store!
Speaking of Christmas: How did it end up being just around the corner?! It wasn't supposed to sneak up this fast. I can honestly say I have done zero Christmas shopping except for my Goddaughter and her brother. Nada, nothing. I hope everyone is happy with gift cards this year. This will truly be a Christmas about family and not gifts, though I love to give gifts. Maybe I can manage to find a little something for everyone. Everyone who has been good that is. I also have not done my Christmas cards and probably won't. I wonder if anyone will even notice?
Speaking of buying stuff: You've got to know that the economy is bad when I haven't even been in an Ann Taylor store, or any store in the Galleria for that matter, in a month. OMG! I might actually have to start wearing the same thing twice! The horror!! I hope no one notices...
Belated birthdays: I want to wish my friends Aimee and Karla a Happy Belated Birthday!! They both had birthdays last week and I was unable to round up a couple of cards in time. Sorry ladies, but my thoughts were with you and my intentions were true!
Sinuses: Seriously, what's the deal? Our lovely Texas weather that goes from snowing to 80 degrees back to 40 degrees and should get back up to 80 by Friday has sent my allergies into full attack. As if we didn't have enough ill people in my family right now. Its almost embarrassing. But, I should have known, because this happens to me every freaking year at this time.
24 Weeks Later: A running Saga
1 year ago









1 comment:
Maybe go out at a modest pace and check your progress at the halfway point...if the wheels aren't falling off, then 'wick it up'. If you're not faring well, revert back to "I'm running this strictly as a FUN run".
Merry Christmas, Princess!
Post a Comment