Monday, September 22, 2008

Beware of the wildlife post-Ike!


Running update: Since Houston Fit runs were cancelled on Saturday, I decided at the last minute to run my 11 miles on Thursday evening. I had an excellent run (8:55 average pace) despite the obstacles of remaining Ike debris. However, two events made this run particularly entertaining:

First, I ate it. For the first time in my running life, I tripped and went flying. Thankfully it was on the sandy trail along Buffalo Bayou. Unfortunately it was on part of the trail right by Memorial Drive, so I'm sure some drivers had quite the chuckle. A badly skinned knee was my only visible injury. Rights of passage, I suppose.

Second, as I was running along Kirby drive, trying to avoid the debris, I almost stepped on what I first thought was a mouse. I stopped and realized it was a baby squirrel. The cutest thing ever! And it had a sibling by the side of the grass. I felt so sorry for these guys. They apparently fell out of the tree during the storm, but were alive, almost a week later. How could that be? Of course I wasn't going to touch them, but my mind was racing about how I could save them. Their mom must have died, I thought. As I stood there looking at them, one let out a little cry. Suddenly, I heard a louder cry and a rustling in the tree above me. I looked up and mamma squirrel was running full speed down a branch right toward me. She was alive! The babies would be saved! Then I realized she was probably going to attack me, so I ran off a little. But my curiousity got the better of me when the mom didn't come down to the ground to get her babies, so I went back to them. The mom then chased after me again, jumping from limb to limb until I out-ran her. Man, those cute little things are mean! Good thing it didn't jump on me, especially since the traffic on Kirby was terribly backed up and tons of people would have witnessed me getting attacked by a squirrel. No doubt that would have ended up on YouTube. My dad found humor in it though, providing me a great laugh during my visit this weekend:

Saturday morning I ran 9 miles (9:01 average pace) prior to the A&M game. I figured I still had some stress to run off. It ends up I was right...

A&M Football: WHY GOD WHY?? WHY DO WE SUCK SO BAD???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious...I'm cracking up over the visual of the squirrel attack, especially alongside a busy street with plenty of onlookers. Of course, for your sake, I'm glad the attack was avoided, but I would have paid good money to see it if it had happened! Love ya! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first wipe out. May it be your last.

Obviously speed woprk has been paying off. Glad to hear you can outrun a squirrel.