Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The sweet sound of generators in the morning.

Houston is a mess. That's the simplist way to describe it. A big mess of trees everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Long lines at the few open gas stations, lines to even get into a grocery store, more people in Walgreens/CVS stores than I've ever seen at any given time. Restaurants and business are still closed for the most part, and we are under a city-wide curfew. I haven't had a curfew since high school! Its almost like a war zone. And now, the fatigue has set in and the tempers are starting to flare. So many people are still without electricity after almost a week. Galveston and Bolivar Island are pretty much destroyed. Kemah Boardwalk will need to be completely rebuilt. Its hard to believe this storm was at most a very weak Category 3. I am still counting my blessings that I had very little damage and still have electricity. However, my cable and internet went out at home on Sunday and are still out, which is becoming annoying, but I've got to keep in in perspective. Evening update - Cable and internet are back! Woo-hoo!

A quick shout out to Russ, friend, fellow runner and neighbor, who called to let me know my place was okay after the hurricane, not knowing that I was actually there, "hunkered down." And if I hear "hunkered down" one more time, I'll scream. I hope it makes the list of banned words soon, though apparently there was a hurricane drinking game that involved this phrase.

Running update: I've managed two 60 minute runs in the past couple of days, though with all the dodging of fallen trees and limbs, they felt like trail runs. In addition, I logged 60 minutes on the elliptical on Monday and 55 minutes this morning. If I keep this up, I will eventually burn off the thousands of calories I consumed in junk food and drinks during and after the hurricane.

That's all for now. I'm too tired to find a funny pic to post today. Plus, not so much out there is funny. I did, however, think it was funny that as I was driving to work this morning, at the corner of Montrose and Gray there was a young driver stopped at the light who was hunched over with his eyes closed. I first though he passed out from a night of post-hurricane partying, but he had a dog in the car. Then I thought he fell asleep, because I've been so tired sometimes that I've nodded off a little at stop lights. But this was a non-working stop light to be treated as a stop sign and he was the first car at the light. Not much time to nod off. Therefore, I think he may have been dead! A cop pulled behind him, but I had to get to work so I couldn't stay and gawk. Weird, and definitely not funny if true. I will now always wonder what happened to that guy...

No comments: