Property tax protest drama: Speaking of time-consuming nonsense, I have made the bold moves of (1) protesting my property value, and (2) turning down the HCAD's first counter-offer. Now I am preparing for a formal hearing in front of a panel. Lots of number crunching and picture taking and analysis of various properties. I'm actually enjoying the research and preparation, but honestly, I don't have a clue what I am doing. And what the HCAD is using as "comparables" is befuddling. This will be a learning experience more than anything. Does anyone know if flirting with the review panel works? Should I go in wearing my tiara? Maybe I should start crying.
Running update: 12.25 miles on Saturday, including 3 miles of parking garage ramps. The first time up and down was fine, the second time, a little more difficult, and by the time we made it back for the third round, I couldn't really feel my legs much anymore, so I'm not sure if they were hurting or not. This was another run where I felt pretty strong and thought I was flying, but I averaged around 9:36/mile. Still pretty good for the longest run of the season so far. I think the heat and humidity got to me because I was not feeling well at all for the rest of the day on Saturday. Hopped on the elliptical for 70 minutes on Sunday evening, and tonight I got in an easy 5 mile run. Speedwork tomorrow. We are almost half way through the training program for San Antonio. Wow. I know that all this tough training in this weather will pay off in October and November. It better.
Olympic fever: I have it. GO USA! (HAHAHAHAHA to the French who guaranteed a victory in that swimming relay, only to get beaten by the USA by a fingertip. HAHAHAHAHAHA! )
Reveille VIII: Texas A&M has finally found its new mascot. After much debate and consideration of various breeds of dog, they stuck with the Collie. Kudos to the decision-makers. Can't imagine any other type of dog being our mascot. The dog’s official name is “Tapestry Tenacious Juell,” but she goes by Kelly (well, technically, now she goes by Reveille). First of all, what the heck kind of name is Tapestry Tenacious Juell? Second, how in the world do you get "Kelly" out of that? Tapestry? Tenacious? REALLY?? Well, at least her name wasn't "Booger," which was the name of the pit bull that now has five clones, who are owned by a woman who was once accused of stalking and kidnapping a Mormon missionary and making him her sex slave, back in the 70s I think. WTF is wrong with people?









8 comments:
Good luck with HCAD. I was not at all pleased with the results that I got. The hubby and I went through round 1 by ourselves and then hired O'Connor and Associates. We just bought the house last year and this was their response: "What better means do we have to value your home than to use the price that you paid for it. Bring in your closing statement showing that you paid less and we will adjust." Umm... apparently HCAD does not care about your constitutional right to be taxed fairly and in accordance with your neighbors.
Oh, and I LOVE how they compare your house to your house... go in armed with spreadsheets - hopefully they will care.
Thanks Cass. That's what I was afraid of. The average price per square foot in my townhome community, not including my property, is about $5 less than mine, but I think they are going to nail me with the purchase price. Even my next door neighbor, who has a bigger place, got a lower tax value than me. I would think that would be argument enough, but from what I've heard, an you have confirmed, there is no reasoning with the HCAD. Dangit!
Price you paid does connote its value, IMO. If you think it's worth a certain price and pay that, then that's the property's value, IMO. Seems fair.
But it can work both ways. If they're appraising you higher than you paid, you would surely share with them the sales price.
I fought an outrageous appraisal in San Antonio and got it lowered a good bit. The very next year they hammered me again, knowing I'd have to put together my case, AGAIN! Man I dislike property taxes.
Love love LOVE that picture. I am officially addicted the the olympics.
And one more thing....you're OUT OF YOUR MIND!! GD you're FUNNY! Are you this entertaining in person?
And your pics of the day are top-shelf!
TOO FUNNY!!
Some people think I'm entertaining, some just look at me like I'm nuts. It all depends on your sense of humor. As long as I make myself laugh, I figure at least one other person will laugh with me. Or not.
Carolyn,
You are right. If you purchased in 2007, I'm impressed that you were even offered a reduction in value. We thought that the larger house that was valued less per square foot (as in 60.00 less) would be compelling - not so much. However, I think that you have a good argument for at least getting a reduction to the avg square foot price in the townhome.
Oh, and as I've said a million times to the hubby, I don't think purchase price and value are related - especially when tax hikes are capped yet appraisal values are not (with exception for homestead). Besides, if I was an idiot and overpaid, that doesn't change the value. My favorite - this could've been my grandparents childhood home that I wanted to purchase. Just because I paid 3 million for a home that is only worth 75k does not automatically make the value of the house 3 million (okay, soapbox over...)
You have brought this upon your self. I will now refer to the aggie mascot as Booger!
Post a Comment