Monday, August 18, 2008

I forgot how long 15 miles is...


Running update: 15.1 miles on Saturday. Longest distance of the season so far, and the longest I've run since the Houston Marathon in January. It was a good route and I had a pretty decent run, despite some hamstring issues that I plan to get worked on this week. Ran about a 9:38 pace, with some pretty decently-paced miles in the middle. It was soupy outside as usual, and I was pretty sure that some lightning to the east was going to stop us at some point, but it didn't. I even made a bet with myself that we would be stopped and turned around out about mile 7 but that didn't happen, so I had to pay myself $5. Funny how that works.

75 minutes on the elliptical last night while watching the Olympics, which have suddenly become boring now that swimming events are over. I wonder if Phelps can even stand up straight when he has all 8 gold medals around his neck. And I wonder, do all medals weigh the same or is the gold heavier than the silver and bronze? Too bad that is a question I will never know the answer to. And how about the women's marathon? Great race. Too bad for Deena Kastor. All those stories I hear about people breaking their foot because they have a hairline stress fracture somewhere are true, I guess. At least I think that is what happened to her. That's too bad. But what amazes me most is that the winner finished the marathon in the same amount of time it took me to run 15 miles on Saturday. Some people are just born to run fast, crazy fast. My dad kindly noted that all I had to do was cut an hour and a half from my best marathon time, and I too could qualify for the Olympics, and possibly medal. He made it sound so easy.

Twinkies! I took a trip into College Station to visit my family this weekend after my run. My brother, sister in law and the twins were in town. The little twinkies get cuter everytime I see them, though they like to say "no" alot (they are reaching the terrible twos).

Me: Koen, do you love Auntie Kiki (me)?
Koen: NO!
Me: Hayden, come give Auntie Kiki a kiss.
Hayden: NO!

But when they say "no" with their cute little smiles, it still melts my heart, so I didn't take the rejections personally.

It was great to spend some time with the whole family. Very relaxing weekend. So relaxing in fact that I managed to hit my snooze for an hour and a half after my alarm went off from my Saturday nap. Guess I was pretty wiped out from my run. I think my dad was worried that I slipped into a coma. It sure felt like I did.

Rain, rain, go away. My guess is that rain will hamper my running plans for the first part of the week. As much as I love my elliptical, it can get boring unless you have a good book to read. I just finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns" which was great. Now I have to find something funny. Recommendations would be appreciated.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why people don't train when its raining? WTF?

Are you going to melt?

Shouldn't someone train in ALL elements? Isn't that why its called 'training'?

:) said...

Who invited the hard ass? ^

That picture scares the shit out of me.

I don't like the rain either, but my yard o' fire sure does!!! :)

26.2 Princess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
26.2 Princess said...

Anon (or should I call you "coward" for not identifying yourself?), yes, some might say that I'd melt. What I should have clarified is that it is supposed to thunderstorm. A little rain doesn't bother me and is quite welcome during a run, but a downpour with or without the chance of lightening, no thanks. Only on Saturdays.

Anonymous said...

1) Great run. You are going to be awesome when cooler weather roles around.

2) You are aware that most people use the terms "Twinkie" "Twinks" and Twinkies" to describe one or more males with an alternative lifestyle.

3) Looking for a funny read? Try Carl Hiassen. You'll get hooked quickly (start from the first book if possible). Sadly, according to my in-laws, it is entirely conceivable that the characters in his books are based on actual Floridians.

Anonymous said...

Okay, Carolyn, I now forbid you from ever referring to our boys as the twinkies again! There must be no confusion.

Also, one correction...the boys' responses to your questions were not exactly "No!", they were more of a long, drawn out, and of course cute, "NOooooo".

26.2 Princess said...

Thanks Jamoosh. Now I have to come up with a new nickname for the boys. This is indeed a sad day. :(