Thursday, January 1, 2009

Welcome 2009!

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and a fun New Year's Eve! I spent the majority of my evening at Dennis and Emily's party, which was a blast (thanks y'all!). Good company, good food, good drinks. Can never go wrong with that combination! I laughed at the guys playing Wii golf, enjoyed talking with Greg and Alaina, and had a great conversation with Ruthie about recent family events and running (of course we talked about running!)...she reminded me that no one but me cares how fast I run a marathon; they only ever want to know how many you've run. That's what I needed to hear, as I have been contemplating not running Houston because I don't feel ready to break any personal records. So what if this won't be my fastest marathon? I'm going to go out there and have fun this year, enjoy the crowds and entertainment, and burn a crap-load of calories (which is very necessary given my eating habits since Thanksgiving)! I am re-motivated!

New Years Resolution: Mine is the same as it has been the past couple of years... do one nice thing a day for someone else. This is more difficult that it sounds, believe me, especially before my morning coffee! I find it fascinating that everyone views this one day as a fresh start, an opportunity to develop good habits and break bad ones, a chance to re-assess your life. Its a day of optimism and hope and new beginnings, and if you are superstitious, a day to consume large amounts of black eyed peas. For many, its a day to take down Christmas decorations. All I know is that I'm glad I don't belong to a gym, because everyone will be crammed into them for the next several weeks, trying to honor their resolutions. 99% will fail. I'm just sayin'...

Christmas: I had a great time with my family over Christmas. My brother, sister in law and the kids came to my parents' in B/CS on Friday, and that's when we celebrated and opened presents. Having toddlers around makes it so much more fun! The twins are now well aware of who their Auntie Kiki is, and I couldn't have had a better time playing with them. It was also great to have my mom feeling alot better and recovering very nicely from her surgery. And I got in a few games of pool with my dad (I only won one game, but I did sink an awesome behind-the-back shot). Our traditional Christmas Eve dinner of BBQ was delicious, and we had the best filets for Christmas dinner (notice all of the talk about food, which is why I could stand to burn 3000 calories on marathon day!). The only thing missing was our traditional Christmas morning consumption of Bloody Marys, since we had Christmas in the evening. I'm sure we'll pick that one back up next Christmas.

The boys decorating me with Christmas bows, bags and boxes:


Me and my beautiful niece:


The Christmas Ficus:


The boys and Millie:


Running update: I managed a pretty decent 6 mile run on Tuesday morning, and was refreshed and ready for my day. Got home to start some work on the computer, and it crashed. My euphoria from my run was gone in a flash, much like my hard drive. Thankfully, I have been very nice over the years to the IT guys at work, and they wasted no time setting up and installing all the necessary stuff (by stuff I mean computer programs and other things that I know nothing about) yesterday. See, it does pay to be nice to people, hence my New Year's resolution. I had planned to get a run in yesterday too but was at the office all day working while they fixed my computer. I'll get in a short run tomorrow then join my training group on Saturday morning for an easy 8 mile taper run. Today is all about recovery from last night, and bowl games of course.

No comments: