Saturday, July 5, 2008

Double Digits

My training group is now in double digit mileage for Saturday morning runs. No less than 10 miles on Saturdays from here on out, up to the San Antonio Marathon in November (or whatever fall marathon the other runners are running). Then I will torture myself further by continuing my training for the Houston Marathon in January. Crazy, but I'm addicted. Could be addicted to worse things I suppose. And, as I always say, its all about the hardware - the cool medals you get just for finishing (I didn't get many sports-related trophies as a kid, so I'm trying to make up for it with marathon bling). Oh yeah, and the satisfaction of finishing an event that is ridiculously physically and mentally challenging and accomplished by so few is quite rewarding.

Running update: 10.2 miles for me this morning, roughly a 9:30 pace. This was a smidge disappointing, as I felt like I was flying this morning. I thought for sure I was around a 9:15 pace. Granted, we ran the first mile in a 10+ minute pace for warmup, so that threw my overall average off (at least that's what I'm telling myself). Good to start out slow though. I had a great run despite some tension in my shoulders and neck. Same song, different verse. We had a pretty good showing of the runners even though its a holiday weekend.

Now I'm in Aggieland, enjoying some time with my family. My brother, sister in law and twin nephews are here, and I could not be having more fun. The twinkies are 21 months and as cute as ever! We are here to celebrate my dad's birthday tomorrow. I love it when the whole family is together!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh come on - 9:30? It's early in the seaons; it's hot; and I am sure your pink hat isn't ready for the wind shear you will soon be creating!